Saturday, December 4, 2010

Taxol No. 1: "Better living through chemistry"

At chemo on Friday, my roomie, her husband, my friend Jessica and the nutritionist were all engaged in a spirited discussion about Ethiopian culture and lifestyle, when the Benadryl in my IV hit my system.

I realized I had an important point to contribute to the high-level discourse.

“Hey, guys,” I interrupted. “Hey, I feel like I’m floating. It’s like I’m on the ceiling looking down at all of you.” I groped for the right phrase to capture the experience and was proud when I concocted the perfect original description. “It’s, it’s like far out.”

They all turned to me politely. Bernadette, the nutritionist, who has years of experience with chemo patients, was the first to react. She rolled her eyes and a huge smile spread across her face.

“Better living through chemistry, eh, Carolyn?” she said. “Just wait until tonight when the steroids kick in. Then you’ll be hyper.”

Finally, finally after all these weeks of drugs that cause exhaustion, nausea and
various aches and pains, finally, I’ve scored a decent drug. Something downright, dare I say, recreational.

Intravenously administered Benadryl, I think I love you.

People keep asking, “Why don’t you get yourself some medical marijuana?”

Clearly I’d qualify, since you can get a prescription for it with a hangnail. But I gave up pot after freshman year because it triggered too much paranoia. Faithful readers of this blog know that I’m already doing a perfectly fine job becoming a paranoid wreck without any pharmaceutical intervention.

Actually I have done really well with not dabbling in paranoia over the past couple of weeks. I’ve stopped Googling medical sites, and I didn’t even have to have Mark install child-monitoring software on my laptop.

Still, there was a paranoia trigger at chemo.

An hour into my treatment, suddenly a nurse bolted past our door, soon followed by three or four other nurses, all running flat out. “Something’s happening,” said Vivian, my roommate, looking scared. “I’ve never seen that before.” A loudspeaker crackled. “Code Indigo in the treatment center,” a voice intoned. What, they think cancer patients can't translate “indigo” into “blue”? From my years of “ER” viewing, I knew Code Blue means cardiac arrest. Vivian and I looked at each other; we were both close to tears. I could tell we were thinking the same thing: This was a sobering reminder that a lot can go wrong when you pump poison into someone’s veins.

I’m now on to the second half of chemo, getting a drug called Taxol, every week for 12 weeks. It’s derived from the bark of the Pacific Yew. A cancer-support group buddy dropped off a branch from her yew tree “to propitiate the spirits of the forest who gave us this drug” as she poetically put it. Taxol’s main side effect is neuropathy, and to forestall that I’m getting weekly acupuncture and have a whole new set of supplements to choke down. Taxol also can cause severe allergic reactions, hence the IV Benadryl as well as the steroid, Decatron.

Over Thanksgiving, I allowed myself to take a little break from the Cancerverse, indulging in a diet soda now and then, being less scrupulous about the gallons of water I’m supposed to drink, skipping some of my vitamins and generally just trying to feel more normal. When the holiday was over, I didn’t get back on track.

Bernadette took one look at my lab results and called me out.

“You’re not drinking enough water,” she said right away. “Look how your uric acid levels are elevated.”

A girl can’t get away with anything around here.

7 comments:

  1. Written by Larry! Seeing Carolyn and Mark last night was like a transfusion. Travel for work, our being sick multiple times and Sue's recent heart attack have kept us apart for too long. It was wonderful to see you and Mark even in the midst of so many challenges. You are both bearing so much weight and still give us healing energy and smiles and laughter at the same time. Such amazing people. Carolyn you are dealing with being sick, learning about the illness, chemo, doctor visits, medication, side effects of medication, supplements, support group, work, life and more. Its the to do list from hell. Its too much to bear to be sure even for someone as strong and great at multi tasking as you are. Sue's heart attack and my ongoing struggles with asthma give us so much empathy for what you are going through. Medical issue fatigue is its own health problem. Doctor's office visits come so often it becomes a life activity like buying groceries. Questions and information overload boggle the brain at all times of day and night. Time is lost on medical issues that would be used for doing other more fulfilling things so life goes out of balance. The illness becomes central to one's life at the same time you struggle to get around it but there it always is like some big traffic circle getting in your way all the time when you want to go some where. There is no way to put a yellow smiley face sticker on it. It just sucks but you with your incredible outlook still find a way to write a funny blog entry.

    This blog entry may sound depressing but I want it to be affirming of the challenges you face. It is not your problem. It is the illness giving you this problem. That is important to remember. The illness is just like some obnoxious roommate moving into your house, but they will get evicted and life, while it won't get back to normal, it will get to a much much better place than it is in now. We are there to take whatever weight of these things we can from you. Sharing the load no matter how heavy. This is a team effort. That is what loving family is all about. And we do love you and Mark a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gloriosa!

    It was swell to see you today, to delight in your warm and gracious home, and to meet the sublime Mark. Lucky you. Lucky Mark. Lucky house. Lucky us.

    Important reminder: KITTY LOVE! It asks no questions, offers no advice, makes no judgments, brings no casseroles, proffers no gifts. Kitty Love just snuggles up and purrs at'cha.

    Among other wonderful support during my cancer dance (which I still cannot decide was a tango, a polka, or a taratella), Kitty Love got me through most of it. From the evidence I observed today, dear Carolyn, you have a fabulous furry support system that will turbo charge all the other earnest efforts we humans are happily offering. You've a heaping helping from Yogi. Add in and gently stir the reclusive BooBoo's feline adoration, and the remedy for what ails you is overwhelming. Kitty love in stereo! Drink from the well of furry fabulousness.

    Can't wait to go tomahawk hurling in the Spring with you and Victoria.In the meantime, to quote my lovely pal Billy Boland (from Darien, in coastal Georgia): "I love you and I mean it. I really do!"

    Your madcap pal, Lori Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those drugs must be good! Even if your life isn't anywhere near being back to normal, your sense of humor certainly is. This post made me LOL several times! Actually, I too once fell in love with intravenous Benadryl. That stuff is awesome.

    It was great seeing you and Jan over at Bob's, and I finally got to meet Mark! Hopefully it won't be so long before we all get to hang out again.

    Take care of yourself, and keep trippin' (in a good LOL way, not a paranoid way).

    Love Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Far out! Try a toke. What happened before will not necessarily happen again. You're in a different circumstance now. Mark and the Kittehs are there. It may just be fun this time AND help to keep up your spirits and appetite!

    The "trick" is to tell yourself beforehand what you want to think about and stick to it (LOL! THAT's the really fun part -- sticking to it. Like Meditation and breath control, easier said than done.).

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone who is allergic to everything from my own dog to the dust on my computer screen, I am taking your advice on IV Benadryl seriously. Hey, it was excellent seeing you at John's Grill the other night. Love you in person, and love you online. Your fan, Nanette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Posted in two sections because we have too! This is from Larry by way of Sue...

    Part One: SAID'S STAMINA AND SUCCESS STUDIED BY SPORTING WORLD!
    From AP, UP, Reuters, Weekly Reader and National Enquirer News Service
    Your correspondent Larry Robbin

    Mega athlete Carolyn Said has amazed the sporting world by sustaining a miraculous battle against the notorious C. In this first round of the multi stage battle Said held her ground against all odds. She got hit hard, came back, was pounded again and stood her ground. She got dazed, but then razzle dazzled spun around and landed some major blows leaving C in disarray. While the battles aren't over her early performance has been stunning. Sports pundits were amazed by her athletic ability. Said's approach has spawned a revolution in many aspects of sports training. An international sports diet conference modeled after her approach is sold out! The event called No Sugar, No Corn Starch, No Flour and No Oil - Said's Secret Strategy That Works! will turn the world of sports dieting on its head. One noted sports nutritionist who spoke anonymously said, " I have to burn my entire sports diet library which includes my own best selling books. Its clear from Said's unbelievable performance we don't know shit about sports and diet!" Sports trainers are looking at every aspect of Said's life for the secrets to her success. Their invasive approaches resemble paparazzi going after movie stars. Its amazing what they have uncovered. For example many sports trainers are now encouraging their athletes to get and pet kittens as much as possible. Intensive testing is going to see if the type of kitty, its color or personality have an impact on the athlete's results in sports. Numerous attempts to pay Said big bucks to learn more about her kitties have not yielded access to the talented felines. Said in her motherly protective mode has refused all attempts by trainers to interview and study Boo Boo and Yogi. " I don't want to upset them and besides it's my secret how we work together and I don't want C getting kittens. This is about winning you dummies! If you get near my kitties you will be in big doo doo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Part Two!!!!

    Another aspect of her success is also under scrutiny. Given Said's repeated positive comments about the support from her husband sports trainers are now looking into whether or not marrying the mayor of El Cerrito can improve outcomes in sports. If the connection proves positive you can bet that the current mayor will receive thousands of proposals from victory hungry athletes from every corner of the globe. Her performance has been so outstanding no aspect of her life has gone unnoticed. Business at one of her favorite restaurants Veggie Food is through the roof as athletes and trainers descend on the smalll eatery to see if eating their food helps people win. Said's name can be found all over sports publications. Word on the sports street is that Sports Illustrated approached her about doing a cover for their swim suit edition. But the guy that proposed it to her was seen limping down the street holding his balls where a well placed Said kick had landed. " Its the first time we've been turned down " said the Sports Illustrated editor in a high pitched soprano voice. Said is currently taking a much needed break from the battles. But she is staying in shape and working out constantly. Word has it that chasing her husband and kitties around the house on steroid infused rampages keeps her muscles toned and reflexes sharp. Whatever she is doing its working and her many fans continue their support. The notorious, clandestine and suspicious Carolyn Said Fan Club has organized rallies around the globe that have drawn more participants than the demonstrations in the Mideast and Madison combined. True to her politics Said has encouraged people attending her rallies to participate in these other events resulting in chants of "down with Khadafi and the Republicans and up with Said" that are so loud astronauts have reported hearing them in outer space. Well that's all for this edition about the amazing athlete Carolyn Said. Stay tuned for more reports in the future!

    ReplyDelete