Friday, September 10, 2010

Reprieve: You're lookin' swell, Dolly!

The threat of incarceration at the Alta Bates Home for Wayward Breasts prompted Dolly to clean up her act. She's still a bit over-sensitive, a bit swell-headed and looks like she's been hitting the blusher too hard, but she's finally getting down to the business of recovery. Dr. C was very pleased with her turn-around.

And the rest of me is finally perking up after four days huddled on the sofa clutching ice packs and emitting occasional whimpers. Of course Yogi and Boo Boo will be diappointed by the end of my couch potato lifestyle. They've spent three years trying to train me that that's where I belong: herding me to the sofa, prancing ahead, looking back with little encouraging miows to make sure I'm following, waiting for me to sit and then jumping aboard for a cuddle and some ambient body heat. They were quite gratified that their efforts had finally paid off and I was living as God and kitties intended, staying exactly where they wanted me and never annoying them by shifting position.

For now Dr. C is leaving the incision site open and packed with gauze, which seems to be helping the healing. She'll give Dolly a little cleaning and fresh, er, garments, daily for the next few days; presumably at some point I'll get stitched back up again.

Whew! Soon we'll be moving on to Phase Two of treatment. I'll meet my medical oncologist on Monday. On Wednesday a range of cancer doctors on the Alta Bates Summit Tumor Board will review my case and recommend the best course of treatment. I'll be sorry to say goodbye to Dr. C, an excellent surgeon who has consistently been compassionate and straightforward with me.

2 comments:

  1. That's a great line about the threat of incarceration at the Alta Bates Home for Wayward Breasts, to be avoided at all costs. Keep fighting the good fight Carolyn with maximum Kitty Power!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm, Carolyn writes eloquently about pretty breasts and the guys start posting comments...

    somewhere in that bad girl breast is a jungian metaphor for the inevitable (and ultimately healing) shadow side to balance our sunny side - but I can't seem to find the metaphor. tell the surgeons to keep looking for me.

    ReplyDelete