Friday, October 22, 2010

Me and my hair: Never can say goodbye


Oh, my hair, my hair. Scraggly, limp, lank, stubborn. Even on my wedding day, after 60 minutes with the hot rollers and the curling iron and the can of hairspray and the hordes of hidden bobby pins, it collapsed like a bad soufflé on the five-minute trip from salon to venue, so the only ones who got to see it in all its poufy glory were me and the stylist.

My hair has always been like a no-goodnik boyfriend. You know you should give him the heave-ho, but when you finally make up your mind, he figures out which way the wind is blowing and gets all sweet and solicitous and you remember what you saw in him in the first place and just don’t have the heart to go through with it.

Whenever I start thinking it’s time for a drastic haircut, it manages to pull itself together and transform into little waves and tendrils that curl adorably. “Why can’t you be like that all the time?” I scold it. “We could have such a good relationship if you would just always act exactly the way I want you to act.”

That line of reasoning never worked on boyfriends either.

Now that its days are numbered, my hair has perked up remarkably. It practically does tricks every morning to prove how cute and cooperative it will be if I just let it hang in there. And I’d be glad to comply, since I really don’t think I’m gonna rock the bald look, but it’s not up to me.

Adriamycin causes hair loss 14 to 21 days after treatment. Cytoxan, my other current chemo drug, causes hair thinning. Some people’s hair doesn’t completely fall out on those two drugs, but they get a patchy look. Taxol, the chemo drug I’ll be getting in December and January, causes hair to fall out completely, sometimes overnight.

I’ll be bald for Halloween.

It doesn’t ring the same chimes as "I’ll be home for Christmas," but it does open up a world of costume ideas: Capt. Picard, Dr. Evil, Mr. Clean, Uncle Fester.

Hmm, all men. Who are the famous bald chicks?

Sigourney Weaver in “Aliens” and Natalie Portman in “V is for Vendetta” – but they didn’t have any distinguishing characteristics other than their bare pates that would sell a costume.

I’m now on day 15 after my first infusion, and so far I haven’t felt the tingling scalp that’s supposed to precede hair loss. But I want to be prepared with a wig for when I need to pass as normal, especially when I have to interview strangers for work or hit the grocery store without getting pitying looks. Luckily it’s almost winter, when I wear a hat every day anyway.

This chemo round induced the same malaise as the last time. The night after treatment I woke up nauseous at 3 a.m. and never got back to sleep but eventually the drugs quelled the nausea. Today I still feel under the weather, but am getting antsy that I need to venture out wig shopping.





Me and my hair. Truth to tell, I haven’t really tried that hard. We’ve stayed trapped in the ’70s for lo these many decades now. My high school graduation photo has the exact same long limp locks look as my Facebook profile pix. How sad is that?

So this is a chance to explore new turf. Goldilocks, Rapunzel, Little Orphan Annie. Angelina or Jennifer. Punk, professional, artiste, ingĂ©nue, sexy siren – it’s time to meet the new me.

11 comments:

  1. Wasn't Queen Elizabeth bald too? But remember the great thing about hair it grows back. I always have to remind myself of that after a terrible haircut. Nevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sympathies. For too long have I been fixated on long hair. Had I undergone chemo, I'd have sprung for the Stevie van Zandt look a la "E Street Band."

    Otherwise I had a fun time at the oncology dept. today. I was supposed to go Wednesday for my quarterly CEA blood draw but forgot. I called this a.m. and they said, "Come on down! The order for the blood draw is here and we'll do it asap." Upon arrival they were all, "Who are you? What are you doing here? How did you get this number?!!" Half an hour later their computers relented long enough to allow me to have the blood draw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to add - while in solitary at Guantanamo Bay (true story from 1982) I told the screws one too many times to "go take a flying f*** at a rolling donut" (apologies to Kurt Vonnegut)

    In return they shaved me bald. Bald as an eagle, bald as the bad inmate I was. Mortification lasted for months and I wore a hat in the middle of summer in Cuba (after release from the US Marine brig) and after return to Canada. On Gitmo itself after getting out of jail the soldiers assumed I was special forces so I got lots of deference, but it wasn't worth the humiliation of the wind blowing around my scalp.

    In your case, Carolyn, I know you'll do just fine. Sigourney Weaver'll be jealous! And you won't end up in Gitmo, either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm now over the shock and caught up, at least on all your Not So Big C blog posts since August. I only learned that you were going to war - kill, kill, kill pussycat - on Facebook a few days ago.

    I've had a number of family friends who've gone through this, and while I've visted them in the hospital or at home, made and delivered chicken soup/sweets, this is the first time I've learned about the details.

    I don't at all love the fact that this blog even exists, that someone so creative, beautiful and wonderful is facing these challenges, but I do love your writing - it's engaging, witty, and informative.

    Unfortunately I'm way over here in New Yoik, but if there is anything I can do or air ship, don't hesitate to ask.

    I will be thinking of you every day until this war is over - in my mind I picture you wearing the purple 'Kick-Ass" wig and a black cape - you look like you mean business, and you always, always win.

    Lots of love and love to Mark - Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's also Demi Moore in G.I. Jane (I always remember her because her character's name was Jordan), Sinead O'connor, and Jane Curtin in Coneheads.

    I had heard from Bob that you were blogging about your battle with breast cancer, but I've only just now stumbled upon your blog. I hope he passed on my well wishes when he had lunch with you. If not, I just wanted you to know I was thinking about you. I know several people who have won the battle, and I have no doubt that you will too since your spirit is just as strong as theirs, and your wit is even sharper!

    Love Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning dear Carolyn! Sorry I haven't written in a bit. We were traveling and the plane air got to me. Yesterday my next door neighbor Helen (77 years old) was outside with her daughter walking arm in arm...Helen is undergoing chemo too. She has lung cancer. Been a smoker her whole life and is going crazy not smoking. (I HATE THE TOBACCO COMPANIES!!!) Anyway the first thing she said to me is "I'm losing my hair Sue." She is Chinese American and has beautiful gray black thick hair that she never had to do anything with except wash and brush dry. Her daughter, standing next to her got tears in her eyes. Then Helen said that she'd go to our faverite hair guy down the block and he's going to shave the bits that are left...off. She had a light blue wool cap on so I couldn't see what was left on her head....It's so telling that that's the thing that bothers her the most about chemo. It's the thing we hear about the most. We want our hair to be perfect and it never is unless we're movie stars that have people fix it constantly. There's no getting around it. Our "shining glory" has never been shining or glorious but we try and try. The shampoo industry is very happy about it. You my wonderder dear sister friend are writing and living every detail of your journey. No matter what happens to your hair...your beautiful head is on very tightly and teaching us what's important in this life! By the way, I'm printing this latest blog to give to Helen. So she can know another who is going through the same journey. See...you help people you don't even know. Love and more love.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolyn,
    I have a strained relationship with my hair. It has poor texture and lies flat. No one would ever guess how long it can take me to work my hair so it looks significantly below average.

    If you wear a wig, wear long sleeves and a long skirt and people will try to guess your religious affiliation.

    You could make a very nice ritual of the hair cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carolyn,

    I love your writing. But I am a guy so I will give you the bald women I liked and you asked for.

    Britney Spears (though nutty at the time) looked good, Grace Jones (the best of them all),Amber Rose (Kanye West old girlfriend),Sinead O’Connor was of course rock'in on her first Album (she was Prince's girlfriend at the time) and the list goes on and on. I also thought Yul Brenner was a sexy beast.

    Now take home guys.

    Mark McPhail

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is from Larry:

    Yin yang. Apples and oranges. Push me pull you. Up the down staircase. Inside outside. The topsy turvy world of medicines that help you and can also kill you. Its crazy making. I feel for you my sister friend family member. We are on a similar roller coaster. Four of my eight asthma medications can kill me as I take them but I have to take them. One is more deadly for African Americans. I felt so weird reading that demographic information. Would it still be true if African Americans ran the drug companies? I file away their instructions and scary words in a drawer we call the medical museum because it has so many medicines I've tried in it along with their instructions. Its helpful if a new doc asks me if I've tried something they want me to take. The words in print may be in the drawer out of sight but they pop up in my mind when I take the meds just like yours do when you go for chemo. Its so hard to manage the fear and the stress that comes with it. You are doing incredibly well at it with your sense of perspective and amazing humor. But its still Yin yang. Apples and oranges. Push me pull you. Up the down staircase. Inside outside. You are never alone in what you feel and experience. I feel your presence and strength as I struggle with my illness as I hope you feel the presence and strength coming from Sue and I as you struggle with yours. We are joined at the medical hip! love Larry

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sat in the room with you this morning and thought - Oh, she's not losing her hair. Then I noticed your cheeks were pink and that everything about you was adorable. Especially your hair. Now I've read your blog and realize it was bad-boyfriend syndrome hair cuteness - but it doesn't matter. You were still beautiful this morning, I saw it and I treasure it.

    Keep writing, Carolyn! This blog is so amazing. Love to you & Mark & the kitties. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the good laugh. I see you taking a proactive move -- shaving your head before it falls out in the sink and clogs up everything to the point where you need a plumber.

    AND I see a lot of different wigs -- not just one. Maybe a really good human hair wig for the days when you must wear it for more than four hours (that's a number I just pulled out of my ass, but I hear plastic gets really hot even in A/C). But lots of short curly, straight, kinky, locks in Vampire Black, Mercurochrome Red, Halloween Orange, Vestment (Regal) Purple and Pay Attention Gold.

    And if you could find a cheap cone head -- that too, just on the days when you are going in for chemo!!

    I love you. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete