Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Deciduous me

As an East Coast transplant, I miss autumn.

One year, Mark and I went to Montreal and Quebec in October and feasted our eyes on the glorious symphonies of fiery reds, deeper russets, golds, persimmons, bronzes - it was like the Berkeley Bowl fruit aisle writ large across the sky.

This year, I'm celebrating in a simpler way: I have become deciduous.

What I'm shedding is just basic brown but there is plenty of it showering down like crisp fall leaves.

For the past four days, whenever I touch my head, my hand comes away with dozens of hairs adhered to it through static electricity. If I rake my fingers over my head, I end up with fistfuls of hair. My clothes look as if I've been romping with a very friendly cocker spaniel. Don't get me started on the couch, the tub and my pillow.

It didn't take long to figure out how messy this was gonna be.

Just like that, I gained the will to chop it off, although not a full Monty buzz cut.

My regular lady at the cut-rate salon did a nice job with a sort of Joan Baez in her mature days look and assured me that it would grow back curly.

Ben, my son, chauffeured me.

"Hmm, now we have the same haircut," he said when he picked me up.


And it's true! I like looking like a twin to my boy.

Now the sprinkling has slowed down, but if -- or rather when -- it picks up again, eventually I'll look like a twin to Mark, who already has expressed his pre-solidarity with my condition by sporting the chrome-dome look for some years now.


+++

Also did some pre-emptive wig shopping at a hospital-sponsored free place - one wig per cancer patient.




Here are the array of choices. Wanna guess which one I picked?








I decided to be a redhead, in keeping with my autumnal theme. (Second row)

13 comments:

  1. Your hair looks really cute short!! You look like a hip new agey California woman ;) Now I'm tempted to go out and get a cute short haircut too. The red was definitely the best choice, though the one at the top looks good from the side. You are totally sporting the short look!

    Love Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of you and Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew, glad I finally realized the reason that we have developed computers, digital cameras, the Internet etc. -- it's to share all those photos of you in the wigs!

    Seriously, though... Glad you were able to have fun experimenting with different personae. The red was my favorite too. The cut itself looked the most natural in the photo, plus why not have some fun?

    In Israel, redheads are referred to as "gingy." As in, if a cute guy decided to flirt with you now, he would say, "Hey, gingy...." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. From one "want-to-be" redhead to one that IS! You're cute as the proverbial button..whatever that really means!?? And I won't ever see falling leaves without thinking of this blog!!
    More later. love from Larry and I

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree completely with Jordon....you look great in short hair, and I wouldn't be surprised if you go that way after chemo. And how nice to see your son. The short wigs are the best of them....and red will be fun. Maybe Mark can borrow it for Halloween. love and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your hair short, Carolyn. It looks fabulous.
    Also guessed right on the wig :-)
    Can't wait to see you in real time.

    Thanks for writing this and keeping us all up to date. It is a wonder.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  7. You totally made the right choice, Carolyn! Love, Nanette "Red" Asimov

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous woman! You are rocking the short hair, sister. The gamine look allows more of your fabulous face to show. Tres chic!

    Have I told you lately that you are my hero? Well, you are.

    Let's meet soon for a wigtastic exchange. Mine are ready to be worn again, especially by a woman of such intelligence and joie de vive. (What's with the French, anyway? Answer comes there none.)

    Love you to la lune and back!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's all about how the red wig made you feel lively and just a tad wicked - it shows and it's wonderful! You are great in short hair!!!

    Such a wonderful walk yesterday, Carolyn. I could barely keep up with you. Beautiful day. As predicted, I was bounced by defense counsel - his first choice of people he did NOT want on his jury, & I have to hand it to him. It was a smart move. Not much patience here for folks who drink & drive.

    So no walk today, but again soon. Love you! S

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like we all agree that RED is best. You look fabulous. I just love your new haircut. You look like a kid again.

    I also like the streaked blond (if if were cut like the red one with those sassy bangs). Anyway, I hope you have more choices than one.

    A broadcaster on the morning news wore a "Gaga" wig that I thought would look great on you. Chin length, all one length, parted down the middle with full forehead bangs (had a triangular look) and it was white. Halloween is such a great time to find cheap wigs.

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. For what it is worth I really think your # 2 photo of wigs looks very natural. Remember I am color blind. So maybe one in that hair style with a different color.

    Take Care,

    Mark McPhail

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always loved your hair, whatever you've done with it. Now I love the cut, and the wig you've chosen. You look super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carolyn - you are looking great! So glad to see you smiling! I'm in NJ right now, there's a lot of yellow in the trees, but a lot of the leaves are falling. The air was cool and crisp all week, it felt great. But I'm glad to be coming home tomorrow.

    Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete