Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Countdown towards chemo

It’s not just Drano they’re injecting into my veins.

It’s actually a carefully crafted “cocktail.” As I understand it (I may be bit shaky on the precise medical terms), the ingredients are Drano, Agent Orange and Round-up. See, it contains something orange – that must mean it’s kind of like a screwdriver, albeit one made with the worst rotgut imaginable.

How toxic is it?

At chemo orientation, they said our partners must wear condoms for protection from our soon-to-be-noxious bodily fluids.

We toured the "infusion center.” Since I’d heard so much about the comfy recliners for receiving chemo, I was picturing that it would have a homey feel, like an upscale birthing center with Martha Stewart-esque fabrics and colors and lots of nice touches to warm it up.

It looks a lot more like an ICU.

There’s a nurse’s station in the middle and maybe 10 patient rooms – actually they’re more like small alcoves. As a cubicle dweller, I should feel right at home.

The décor may be lacking but the people are indeed warm.

Melody, the head nurse, is a friend of a friend, and gave me a huge, welcoming hug and whispered that they’d take good care of me.

The orientation was informative if not totally comforting.

The best news is that retching one’s guts out after chemo is a thing of the past. Patients may still feel queasy, but the nausea-blocking drugs are super-powerful. I’ve been prescribed five separate meds to prevent nausea and that doesn’t count the anti-nausea drugs they’ll give me intravenously. If need be, post-chemo we can return to the infusion center for more IV anti-nausea meds and IV hydration.

Fatigue is another matter. There are likely to be several days of feeling cruddy after each infusion. Since chemo is cumulative, the bad days can get worse and more frequent with each new cycle.

I don’t feel sick. It’s still so hard to grasp the paradox that I am agreeing to be poisoned – in the pursuit of good health.

5 comments:

  1. I am struck by your comment about "the paradox that I am agreeing to be poisoned – in the pursuit of good health." Is this some kind of randomly allocated punishment/wake-up from our planet for our cultures agreeing to poison air, water, our bodies, etc. - in pursuit of "goods" and convenience? Like your guest-blogger Lori - all this pushes me to the think about "causes" that I participate in, necessitating such nasty "cures." But there are glimmers of hope: Ben and I flew in last night from Madison where I saw my sister for a few hours and learned one of my young nephews has become beautifully fanatical about buying local and organic - thus waking up his whole (Republican) family - and where Walker and Luella's housemate Chris is offering tons of time negotiating with local farmers to deliver "healthy snacks" of beautiful fresh veggies to 6000 elementary school kids (twice the number as last year) - discovering they like munching on bell peppers and hearing about (or from) the farmers. So I bring you that reminder that the paradox you mention is beginning to gnaw on wise, younger folks. And you were very much on our mind and in our hearts up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I see the people at the "infusion center" where I go every six months for a death ray scan. The hospital parking is free for us cancer patients at least.

    Anyhow, from what I've noticed most folks deal with the chemo pretty well, although the the staff may take the PTs who fail to thrive out a back door where no one can witness the event! (Just kidding)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn. Your chronicles are amazing and brave. What a gift to us to share with you and walk with you through this experience. I cannot wait to walk the path back to health with you, and hand in hand, we can all leave this behind us.

    My absolute BEST hopes for you.

    Raymond

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Carolyn...Larry wrote the following...and it comes from both of our hearts!
    (Sue)

    The Big C's Circle of Support Wraps Its Arms Around Carolyn
    I hope you can feel all the arms hugging you right now as you go on the next stage of this challenging time. I know I speak for all of us when I say that we are with you in any way possible. Whatever you need you will get from all of us. There is a powerful collective hug in the air coming your way. Think about it and feel the power of all the people that love you reaching out to you. This hug also extends to Mark and your family. This hug will not let go. This hug is 24/7. This hug is as sincere and loving as they come. This hug is strong. This hug wraps all around you and becomes a hugging wall of support. This hug loves you. This hug is for you Carolyn from all of us!
    love
    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  5. NOT Drano. FIX-IT juice!
    We're with you Carolyn. xoxox

    ReplyDelete