Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Big-time bummer

At 1 am Sunday morning, I woke to the sound of whimpering.

It was coming from me.

The long bones in my legs ached as they’ve never ached before. They felt as if I’d run a marathon barefoot on concrete or as if a cruel giant had wrung them out like wet laundry. I spent the rest of the night unable to ignore the excruciating throbbing. By morning my arm bones were aching as well. I called the cancer center first thing Sunday morning.

The on-call oncologist thought it might be a reaction to Neulasta, the post-chemo drug that stimulates bone marrow to make more white blood cells. It often causes bone pain – essentially intense growing pains. He suggested taking a Claritin which sometimes can block Neulasta’s effects. An hour later I called him back, barely able to speak through the pain.

“You need to take a Percocet or Vicodin,” he said. I had plenty left over from my surgery and I gratefully complied. Within 10 minutes, the pain mercifully drifted away. You can take Percocets every six hours. At precisely the five-hour mark, I could feel the miracle end and the pain start up again.

By Monday morning I was still in pain, but wanted to stop the Percocets so I wouldn’t be in a zombie fog. I needed to drive to an acupuncture appointment, and I wanted to go back to work on Tuesday as planned. My oncologist’s nurse told me to try ibuprofen. It lessened the pain enough for me to function, and after getting a decent night’s sleep on Monday, I felt more like my regular self and the aching had subsided.

Despite my couple of hours of Benadryl jollies, Taxol so far has turned out to be a big-time bummer.

A few hours after chemo on Friday, I was still loopy from the Benadryl, staggering and slurring, when suddenly the IV steroids kicked in, and I began speed-talking, emitting staccato bursts of information at Mark, who was bemused. By bedtime, the fun, floaty feeling from Benadryl had worn off but the steroids had me wired, even though I was desperate for sleep.

That night, I got just four hours sleep, which left me feeling wasted all day on Saturday. Saturday night, I expected to catch up, and instead got slammed with the bone pain after yup, just another four hours.


Today a friend e-mailed: “Did you hear the news about Elizabeth Edwards?”

I hadn’t heard any updates on her in a while and desperately hoped the news was that she’d had a spontaneous remission. Of course that wasn’t so.

Elizabeth Edwards struck me as a woman with unusual amounts of both grit and grace. Her final public statement, issued on Monday just a day before her death, exemplifies that:
You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces -- my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope. These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined. The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human.

But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful. It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel towards everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day. To you I simply say: you know.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Carolyn, this is indeed a Big Time Bummer, and not at all Far Out. I'm super impressed that you aren't taking all the drugs you're allowed. I think i'd be swallowing and smoking everything i could get my hands on.

    We're organizing a Team Carolyn here in Tokyo for the Run for the Cure in February. Go Team Carolyn! We love you, you are an inspiration, and i just wish we could do something more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get Up And Go
    (For Carolyn With Love)

    It’s the old saying

    And when we’re tired we joke
    “My Get-Up has went.”

    But for the life threatening
    And life altering situations
    That you and others like you
    Go through each and every day

    The Get-Up has to go and go and go
    Like the Energizer Bunny
    That’s taken up in the flying saucer
    And keeps on keeping on
    Enough to juice up the saucer
    Send it on its way and
    Somehow deposit the bunny back
    On Earth to buzz around another day

    We’re with you on this trip Carolyn
    Through the good days
    The not to good days
    Through the pain
    That surprises

    And the gain that’s coming

    We’re supporting
    Your Get-up
    With love
    And a planet full of Go’s

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, that sounds like No Fun at all. Can you take regular ol' Benadryl to get back to the happy floaty place before bedtime? After my surgery I was taking a lot of Tylenol Arthritis, because it would last a full 12 hours and not make me a zombie or wake me up in the night. At least until they recalled all of it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that really sucks that the pain meds last only five hours but you can't take them again until the sixth hour, AND they give you brain mush. Too bad the pain meds aren't as good as the nausea meds during your previous treatment. I know pain can be so disheartening, so hang in there girl!

    I did think of you when I heard on NPR that Elizabeth Edwards had died. It makes the disease seem that much more real and threatening when you hear something like that. You may be thinking that if someone like her can't beat it, then who can? Well, the truth is, YOU can. I mean it. This is not just the residual blind faith of a little girl who thinks that Mama Carolyn can do anything, talking. Grown-up Jordan knows that Big-C Carolyn can battle this monster and WIN!

    Love Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Update on Team Carolyn - there's a big fundraising event in February in Tokyo but the run isn't til November...when i will be, hopefully, in the Bay Area! So we can have a REALLY big Team Carolyn. Shows how good my Japanese is. Anyway, go Team Carolyn! Hope it's better when you read this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving you fiercely in this new year, and in all the wonderful years that follow. You've a friend in me, and from all evidence. friends whose power of love will help you through this year when you think you are all knackered out from the struggle. You are not - not yet - any more than I am - so take it one step at a time and know that we who love you dearly are trudging - and oftentimes dancing - right beside you, darling girl. With love for all you are and will become in the year ahead. your pal in the trenches, Lori Leigh. P.S. In the words of Wonder Woman: "Do not forget your POWER, Little Sister. "' Loving you lots.

    ReplyDelete