Saturday, December 18, 2010

Chemo, rinse, repeat

Quiet times over here in Chemoland.

My oncologist gave me a little talking-to about the need to embrace the lovely pharmaceuticals so readily available to me these days.

“You’re a cancer patient; you really shouldn’t be having qualms about pain medication,” she said, while strongly recommending that I take Percocet at bedtime for the two nights after chemo. “It’s much easier to control pain by getting to it before it starts.”

And it turns out all those years of med school paid off: She was right.

Last week (Taxol #2), I downed the meds as she suggested. No bone pains! (Okay, some minor aches, but well within the range of normal.)

Yesterday was Taxol #3. Sadly, my IV Benedryl euphoria is already a lot less awesome than the first time. The fluorescent lights above my barcalounger do a nice little strobe number for a couple of minutes when it kicks in and my IQ drops 30 or so points, but that’s about it for jollies.

And by evening, the steroids mania arrived while the Benedryl floaty feeling was still lingering. The overall effect is how I imagine those alcohol-laced energy drinks make frat boys feel: Like a hyper drunk.

That still sounds more fun than how I feel: Wired but blah, boring, bored. Like a Jonas brother who’s just downed five macchiattos.

And not wired in a good way, like let’s run around the house Christmas-fying and tidying everything (Mark begs to disagree with that definition of “wired in a good way”), but wired like, I’m exhausted but four hours after going to sleep, sinister forces compelled my eyelids to pop open and my brain to launch into full alert.

This treatment puts me just past the half-way mark for chemo. Eleven weeks down; nine to go. Then it'll be radiation time.

5 comments:

  1. Painkillers always work better the earlier you take them. I know this from years of migraines. Take them early and on schedule, rather than waiting until the pain is kicking your a**. You'll need fewer of them overall, and you'll get better results. Also, the pain will just eat up the opiates and you'll have few side effects and won't be likely to want the stuff when you're not in pain. (At least that's been my experience. Never could understand why anyone would take Vicodin for fun.)

    Hang in there, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading all your blogs, Carolyn, and you're in my thoughts and prayers often. When I read about the effects of the chemo, it reminded me that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Our daughter-in-law (from Oakland, CA) was diagnosed exactly two years ago on New Year's Eve. And it was a rough year of chemo and radiation, just like you're finding. But what did she text me the other day? "I am really feeling great these days!” I know you will be able to look back on this and be glad you fought such a good fight. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Radiation ahead? Does that mean that you will not be having further surgery based on the results of that test? If so, hurrah for some good news (for a change).

    Stay wrapped in fur - the purring kind - and take it one cup of tea at a time.

    In the words of Dory Fish, "Keep on swimming, swimming, swimming." And in this rain, that should be easy to do. Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chemo, rinse, repeat, be done with that, do radiation, be done with that, get healthy life back!! (-:
    Bravo on your Richmond High story. My book group just inflicted a bunch of volumes on those unsuspecting kids, thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should really embrace your pain meds. This is coming from someone who hates taking pain meds, and often waits until the pain is excruciating before taking them, so I know how it is to not want to take them. However, it's going to be a long while before you have any real permanent relief, and I think it'll be much better for your morale and stamina to not be suffering so much through this long ordeal. It is totally not wimpy to need pain meds when you have cancer! They are one of your many weapons as a Cancer Worrior!

    Love Jordan

    ReplyDelete